Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Wow! FamilySearch can't keep up with the Indexers!

I haven't had time to do any indexing for the IGS Indiana Marriages project on FamilySearch for a few days and when I logged on this evening the following message had been posted last Friday, February 16th, by Shirley Fields, the coordinator of the project for the Indiana Genealogical Society:

Hi Indexers,

It's your fault there are no indexing batches available! You indexed so much faster than GSU anticipated, they haven't been able to keep up with you. They have lots more batches and records to be indexed but they are not ready yet. They are trying to speed the process on their end now that they realize how enthused and fast you are, but we will have a bit of a pause here while they catch up. The A batches are all out right now, but as they are completed, they will available as B batches so keep checking back periodically. Arbitrators still have plenty of batches available as that work lags behind the indexing.Thank you for the terrific effort you have put forth in the first 15 days of February, indexing over 25,000 records -- that's an average of 1,600+ records per day! Fantastic!

That's in addition to the 10,000+ records that were done in January. Still no batches available today for indexing. I fell a bit short of my personal goal of a batch a day, more like one every other day, but that's okay, I feel like I've contributed a little bit anyway.

2 comments:

Jasia said...

Wow! This is great news! I can't recall ever hearing about a volunteer effort that so far exceeded expectations. Great job!

Becky Wiseman said...

I don't know if it was just this project that 'caught up' with the available images or not but I hope they can get more images available soon. I'd hate to see volunteers get discouraged after getting 'psyched up' to help and perhaps thinking that others will do it so they no longer have to. My contribution thus far has been very small and I think it is amazing what has been done so far.