Sunday, October 21, 2007

I'm a H.O.G.S. Blogger!

My friends keep telling me that I need to get out more often… I guess that applies to blog reading as well. Since setting up Bloglines to use as my preferred method of reading blogs, actual visits to other blogs are few and far between - unless I want to leave a comment or if the blog only sends out partial posts. I find Bloglines to be handy and very convenient but you lose some of the interaction of reading the actual blog. You don't see the layout of the blog, the comments, or the other stuff in their sidebar. As a result, you sometimes miss out on some neat things.

For instance, a little while ago I visited Terry Thornton's blog
Hill Country of Monroe County, Mississippi to review one of his earlier posts. While there I discovered that he had added Kinexxions to his list of H.O.G.S. Blogs! Terry came up with that moniker and a logo earlier this month to describe his style of blogging.


According to Terry, a H.O.G.S. Blog is one that includes a little History, some Observations, a little Genealogy, as well as some Stories. I'm not sure that Kinexxions includes all of those things in full measure, but I'm honored that Terry thinks so. Thus, I will proudly display the H.O.G.S. Blog logo in my sidebar. Thanks Terry!

And, now, if you'd care to learn more than you ever really wanted to know about the history of hogs in Indiana, check out "
Hoosier Hogs" (pdf file) published by The Indiana Historian in August 1994. . . Pigs in Time, Driving Hogs to the River, Porkopolis, and Pig Potpourri. It truly is amazing what you can discover out there on the 'net!

1 comment:

Terry Thornton said...

Becky, Indeed you are a HOGS Blogger! And thanks for the link to Hoosier Hogs --- it is a goldmine of info about hogs in general and Hoosier History specifically. I was pleased to learn that Cincinnati was once considered to be the Porkopolis of the nation! And the pictures of the slaughterhouse at Delphi IN hold special meaning. My late father-in-law was the production foreman for a large southern meat-packing company --- and I enjoyed visiting the kill floor when they were processing pigs. It is amazing how quickly and efficiently slaughterhouse workers move and the assembly-line process of preparing hogs for human consumption is a marvel to see. I'll keep this link to Hoosier Hogs. It is a good one. Thanks.
Terry Thornton
Hill Country of Monroe County, Mississippi