Tuesday, February 23, 2010

One of the “Family Tree Magazine 40 Best”

This post is coming to you from “the lodge” at Chisos Basin in Big Bend National Park, courtesy of their free (Really. Really. Slow.) Wifi. The weather yesterday was absolutely gorgeous. Sunshine and blue skies and the temperature reached a high of 86 degrees, though it didn't feel that hot to me. Probably due to the nice breeze that was blowing all day long. Today, Mother Nature is not quite so kind. It is in the upper 20s and snowing! Fog rolled in during the night and the temperature plummeted. About 10:30 I made my way to the visitors center and joined about 25 other people milling about trying to decide what to do. The weather in the lower elevations isn't much better than it is here in the Chisos Basin.

I came to the lodge for a hot meal and found out that they have Wifi available! So I went back to the van and grabbed the netbook. But the battery is down to 15% with no outlet available so I don't have much time left... Upon checking my email I saw a note from Diane Haddad that mentioned that Family Tree Magazine had announced their selection of the 40 Best Genealogy Blogs. And Kinexxions made the list!!

It is indeed an honor to be among the other blogs included in the list. Thank you to Family Tree Magazine and especially to everyone who voted for kinexxions. In some respect I feel like an impostor. Blogging and Genealogy in particular, have taken a backseat to travel. Family History posts have recently been few and far between. That doesn't mean there aren't stories to be written or research yet to be done. Far from it. But at this point in time, they aren't a real high priority for me.

I am proud to be a member of the genealogy blogging “geneablogger” community. There are many, many blogs being written by some very creative and talented writers. This community is a group of people who are extremely generous with their research stories, tips, advice, and support for one another. And the community is growing – each new blogger adds something to the whole, making it better than it was before. I look forward to watching it grow.

Thank you and Congratulations to all of the other blogs that made the Family Tree Magazine Fab Forty!

9 comments:

John said...

Congratulations! Well done!

Janice Tracy said...

Congratulations, Becky! You are so deserving of this award.

Greta Koehl said...

Congratulations! Before I started blogging, I came across your blog and thought: "I want to do that!" You are an inspiration.

Lori H said...

I'm so happy for you! Congratulations!

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Congratulations Becky! I'll take few and far between as I always enjoy your posts.

I hope mother nature is done with her cruel jokes and that you have sunshine and WARM temps in your immediate future!

Linda Hughes Hiser said...

Congratulations Becky. I think you were the first geneablog that I read and added to my blog roll.

BeNotForgot said...

Congrats, Becky . . . hope you're enjoying Texas! V.

footnoteMaven said...

Becky:

Congratulations. It is so well deserved. You are the consummate family historian even if on hiatus.

You must go to Blurb and create a book of these spectacular photographs. I'd love to have one.

Safe travel!

-fM

Bill West said...

Congratulations, Becky!