Monday, December 05, 2011

Through the Valley of Fire

Wednesday, November 30th - - The road led me south from Zion National Park. My destination for the night was the Valley of Fire State Park in Nevada about 50 miles northeast of Las Vegas.

I arrived about an hour before sunset and the sun was casting a warming glow over the landscape. The park's website (link above) tells us that “The Valley of Fire derives its name from red sandstone formations, formed from great shifting sand dunes during the age of dinosaurs, 150 million years ago. Complex uplifting and faulting of the region, followed by extensive erosion, have created the present landscape.”


As you drive around the park, numerous formations jut out above the desert floor.


The formations were piles of swirling rock. It was like Mother Nature had dipped her hand into a bowl of whipped cream and mixed it up to form these incredible rocks.



Wind and rain have added their “artistic touch” to the formations to produce a dazzling display.


Thursday, December 1st - - High winds and rain came through the valley last night. The van was buffeted around quite a bit and if there had been room in the campsite I would have turned the van so that it was facing into the wind. It wouldn't have been quite so bad then. But, from what I've heard, the winds through the Valley of Fire were not nearly as bad as those in California. I've been through a few other bad storms and this compares to some of the worst. I was glad to see the sun come out in the morning, but that didn't last long either.

Rather than stay and be miserable in the wind, rain, and cold air I continued on my drive south.

2 comments:

Jasia said...

I never cease to be amazed by Mother Nature. Great pics!

Bob Kramp said...

I lived in Vegas, 1964 to 1967. I toured The valley of Fire before it was a Nevada State Park. Your wonderful pictures brought back pleasant memories. While I was there and while I was still young, I also enjoyed hikes around Mt. Charleston and The Desert Bighhorn Sheep Wildlife refuge- which was north, "across the highway" from Mt Charleston. I wonder how all that area has changed. Glad that V of F has been preserved as a park. Happy and safe travels, Bob