I've got two databases - one for Mom's ancestral lines and the other for Dad's families. For this project I'm working with the 'Phend-Brubaker' database, which is Mom's lines.
- 7179 individuals are in the database
- 1123 individuals were added in 2012 (between January 1st and December 10th) [15.6%]
- 162 do not have a surname [2.3%] - I was actually surprised that this number wasn't higher. These are primarily women whose first names are from census records and for whom marriage records have not yet been obtained. And, of course, some are the very early ancestors whose maiden name seems to have never been recorded anywhere.
- 77 do not have a birth date [1%] - Most of these do have a christening or baptism date
- 1498 have an estimated birth date [23.7%] - Most are people for whom I have only census records and enter their dates as "about xxxx"
- 1316 do not have a birth place [18.3%] - I could "guess" where they were born based on where the family lived but should I? Some of these were simply missed when I entered the census records.
- 1434 are Living [20%] - Except in certain cases, if I receive information on people born after 1940, their information is entered into notes rather than creating a profile for them. The profiles of some of these people will likely "disappear" as they are moved into notes for their parents. They are "left over" from when I made an adjustment regarding who would have a profile added to the database.
- 5744 are Dead [80%] - anyone over 105 years of age is automatically marked as deceased
- 3738 have a death date [about 65.1%]
- 2006 do not have a death date [about 34.9%]
- 2582 have a death place [45%]
- 3162 do not have a death place [55%]
- 2577 have a death place [68.9%]
- 1161 do not have a death place. [31.1%] Many of these death dates come from the SSDI and cemetery records, which are clues but not definitive as far as place of death.)
- 1621 - Births with no source
- 579 - Marriages with no source
- 230 - Deaths with no source
- 317 - Burials with no source
- 314 - Individuals with events missing sources (the individuals may have multiple events that don't have sources.)
- 4649 Individuals have "general" notes. This could be a brief sentence or "everything" I've found on someone but most likely something in-between. It could also be information on living people born since 1940 that have been entered into notes for their parents. Regardless, I hope to see this number fall substantially as the information is moved into events and put into sources.
- missing sources - which should also eliminate some of the General Notes
- no birth date - if necessary, determine a best estimate
- no surname - depending on where they lived, marriage records may be online
- general notes - in some cases the general notes won't be eliminated so I'll come up with some way of identifying those that have been reviewed
Published under a Creative Commons License.
Becky Wiseman, "Database Cleanup :: It's bad, but not as bad as expected," Kinexxions, posted January 9, 2013 (http://kinexxions.blogspot.com/2013/01/database-cleanup-its-bad-but-not-as-bad.html : accessed [access date])