Saturday, July 02, 2011

Index Posts

I'm in the process of creating what I'm calling "index posts" for some of my families. These posts are being backdated so that they don't appear on the main page of the blog.

Blogger has "labels" available that can be used for categorizing posts. These labels appear at the bottom of all posts and also in the sidebar. When you click the link for a label, it will take you to a page that shows all of the posts with that label, which is good. Problem is, some of my "labels" have quite a few posts associated with them so there may be several pages of posts displayed.

A few months ago I added a section to the sidebar for "Posts on Families I'm Researching" and created a link to the label for that family. Once I get the index post created for each family that has more than a couple of posts, the link in the "Posts on Families..." section will then go to the index post for that family. I was having a hard time finding certain posts, so this is being done mainly for my own use, but I thought it may also help some of my visitors looking for specific families. The labels will still be displayed on posts.

I thought about changing the date on the index post each time I added a post for that family. That way, the index post would always display as the top post when someone clicked on the label. Does this sound like a good idea? Or not?

Index posts have been created for most of the following families:
    ( * indicates still to be done)

Mom's Families
Dad's Families
  • Alexander - - Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland
  • Bray - - Indiana, Kentucky, Virginia
  • Shuder -  - Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania
  • Wiseman -  - Indiana, Switzerland

Index posts have also been created for several "series" of posts
Originally Posted on March 31, 2008 :: Last Updated on February 5, 2013

2 comments:

Moultrie Creek said...

What a great idea!

Unknown said...

I love the way you have your blog set-up. Now I just wish I could figure out how you did it.

Betty