Susannah Huffman (my 3rd great-grandmother) was born on March 9, 1804 and was the 2nd of eleven children born to John and Catharine (Coy) Hoffman. Her obituary states that she was born in Columbiana County, Ohio but census records from 1850-1870 show that she was born in Pennsylvania.
According to family Bible Records and her obituary, Susannah was married to John D. Berlin on February 16th, 1826 (probably in Columbiana County, Ohio although no marriage record has been found for them). They would become the parents of ten children and would move to Portage County, Ohio in 1846 and 18 years later to Elkhart County, Indiana where they would live for the remainder of their lives. See Berlin Family :: Index to Posts for information on their family.
Susannah's parents, Catharine Coy and John Hoffman were married October 24, 1801 in Washington County, Maryland. Sometime between 1804-1806 they moved to Columbiana County, Ohio where they raised their family of eleven children.
Dietrich and Susannah (Alder) Hoffman came from Franklin County, Pennsylvania (which borders Washington County, Maryland) to Columbiana County, Ohio at the same time as John and Catharine. Evidence suggests that “my” John is the son of Dietrich and Susannah but complications arose when I discovered that there was more than one man named John Hoffman residing in Columbiana County at the same time. Update June 2012: John Hoffman who married Catherine Coy is definitely the son of Dietrich Hoffman.
Going on the presumption that Dietrich was indeed the father of “my” John Hoffman, I continued research on that line which led to Michael Hoffman of Berks County, Pennsylvania. The question now (April 2012) is whether Michael was married once or twice with both wives named Anna Maria...
John and Catherine (Coy) Hoffman (my 4th great-grandparents)
- The Huffman-Hoffman Kinexxion :: Susannah & John - - March 04, 2012 - - Documents the “link” between Susannah and John, primarily through his estate papers.
- The Huffman-Hoffman Kinexxion :: John & Dietrich - - March 06, 2012 - - Discusses the fact that there was more than one man named John Huffman/Hoffman living in Columbiana County during the same time period, 1808-1860, and attempts to make the case that “my” John Hoffman is the son of Dietrich.
- The 1913 Hoffman Family Reunion - - June 17, 2012 - - A long article in The Mahoning Dispatch on Friday August 15, 1913 provides some hints and clues for future research.
- The Hoffman Family Reunion of 1914 - - June 19, 2012 - - A second article in The Mahoning Dispatch provides additional information on the children of John Hoffman and Catherine Coy.
- Pursuing J. W. Hoffman :: Where's THE Book? - - June 24, 2012 - - The reunion articles of of 1913 and 1914 mentioned a book on the Hoffman family that was being written.
- One "loose end" wrapped up! - - June 25, 2012 - - Confirmation that John W. Hoffman is the son of John Hoffman Jr. and thus the grandson of John and Catherine (Coy) Hoffman.
Detrick and Susannah (Alder) Hoffman (my 5th great-grandparents)
- The Huffman-Hoffman Kinexxion :: Detrick - - March 08, 2012 - - Provides documentation and information about Dietrich/Detrick Hoffman's life and estate file, including a list of heirs who filed a Petition for Partition of his real estate. Also lists the available evidence indicating the possibility that “my” John is indeed the son of Dietrich.
- Curiosity won - and So did I - - April 12, 2012 - - The original baptism record was found for Dietrich Hoffman!
- Another Piece of the Puzzle - - November 3, 2012 - - An entry in a Common Pleas Journal provides an answer to a question as well as confirmation of heirs.
- The Estate of Dederick Hoffman :: Widow's Allowance - - November 7, 2012 - - Listing of the property that was set aside for the widow on May 12, 1826.
- The Estate of Dederick Hoffman :: Property Widow Kept at Appraisement - - November 8, 2012 - - Listing of the property kept by the widow on May 15, 1826 in addition to that previously set aside for her.
Michael Hoffman and his wife or wives (Michael is my 6th great-grandfather)
- The Huffman-Hoffman Kinexxion :: Michael - - March 14, 2012 - - Presents the information that was found on Michael and Maria (Engel) Hoffman in Berks County, Pennsylvania.
- The Huffman-Hoffman Kinexxion :: Heirs of Michael - - March 15, 2012 - - Documents from Michael's estate files show that he had 13 children living at the time of his death with their ages ranging from 36 to 4 years of age.
- Questioning the Status Quo :: Oh, Maria! - - April 10, 2012 - - It appears that Michael Hoffman was married twice. This post presents the possibility that the maiden name of Michael Hoffman's second wife was Schedler and that Engel is one of her given names rather than her surname. Marriage records and baptismal records provide the basis for this theory.
- Baptism Records :: Four Children of Michael Hoffman - - April 13, 2012 - - Baptism records from the New Hanover Evangelical Lutheran congregation (in what is now Montgomery County, Pennsylvania) for four children who were not mentioned in the 1777 estate records for Michael. They are presumed to have died, without children, before the estate entered probate.
- Cousins Connecting, Contributing, Collaborating - - June 15, 2012 - - Contacts made through blogging with distant Hoffman cousins and how they have contributed to research on the family. Blogging Works!
- The Old Trappe Church - - October 27, 2012 - - The marriage of Michael Hoffman and Engel Schedlerin was recorded in records of the Augustus Evangelical Lutheran Church in Trappe in what is now Montgomery County, Pennsylvania. Built in 1743, it is the oldest unchanged Lutheran church still in use in the United States
Published under a Creative Commons License.Becky Wiseman, "Hoffman-Huffman Family :: Index to Posts," Kinexxions, updated November 8, 2012 (http://kinexxions.blogspot.com/2012/03/hoffman-huffman-family-index-to-posts.html : accessed [access date])
Originally Posted on March 25, 2012 :: Last Updated on November 8, 2012
Post date adjusted December 29, 2012 so that when a search for the surname is done on the blog this post will appear first the search list.