Sunday, July 26, 2009

Back Home Again in Indiana

After a whirlwind trip of 2,190 miles to Georgia and back, it's good to be home again, if only for a little while. The younger niece and her daughters were as happy to see us as we were to see them. Three days spent together, making a little bit of family history, went by much too quickly.

I did learn a couple of things along the way. . .
  • A 15-year old boy can put down the chow. However, he doesn't eat food, he inhales it!
  • I can survive without my laptop and internet access for a week, but the boy REALLY needs to have his gameboy.
  • When traveling with a 15-year old and an 81-year old, ya better just plan on stopping at most rest areas along the Interstates.
  • No one says they are hungry until after you've passed the exit with all the good restaurants.
  • When you finally decide to stop for the night, the next motel is at least 40 miles down the road.
  • The Interstates are great for going from point A to point B. But not much good for anything else. Tree lined highways aren't conducive to 'getting a feel' for the countryside as you fly by at 70 miles per hour (or more).
  • It is nearly impossible to maintain a healthy diet regimen while traveling with others who aren't concerned with doing so. Temptation won after the second day.
  • My niece, the boy's mother, has amazingly similar tastes in music as I have, except for the country music. No offense intended, but I can only take so much of it.
  • Neither my niece nor I can carry a tune, but that didn't stop us from singing. You have to stay awake somehow while driving the Interstates.
  • Even after being on the road for 8 hours, when you're only 3 hours from home it doesn't seem all that far. Trust me though, it is much farther than it seems. It makes for a long day though still not worth stopping and spending another night in a motel.
  • I've been home 36 hours, slept 20, and am still tired. 650 miles in one day is just too much.
  • Geneabloggers are a prolific group. It will take some time to catch up on those 900+ unread blog posts waiting in my feed reader...

3 comments:

Greta Koehl said...

"No one says they are hungry until after you've passed the exit with all the good restaurants." So true, so true. I've taken to preempting any objections: "I don't care if you aren't hungry/don't have to go to the bathroom. There's good food/a convenient bathroom here."

Joe Dallmann said...

Haha...I do a lot of eating on the road. There is never time for anything healthy. And I have a 13 year old that inhales every bit of groceries I buy. I wish he had his nose in a book as much as he has it in the refrigerator.

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

LOL I've been on many similar trips. It sounds like a good trip!