Friday, May 10, 2013

Ketch-in-up at Hetch-Hetchy

I've been "on the move" for much of the last 12 days since leaving Salt Lake City and have been off the grid for most of that time. I'm happy to say that I did indeed make it to the Coast of California but first I made a little stop at Yosemite National Park before moving on. The campgrounds in the valley were all full but there was plenty of room in the campground at Hodgdon Meadow at the North entrance to the park and I had no trouble getting a site for two nights.

Having heard about Carol's adventures (on Facebook - she hasn't written about them on her blog yet) in going to the Hetch-Hetchy section of the park, and never having been in that area, I thought I'd see if the drive was as harrowing as she described. I'll have to admit that, even in the mini-van, it was rather exciting with the sharp drop-offs and narrow roads. But I do believe that her trip down those roads was probably more than a little exciting - down right frightening - in that big old truck of theirs!

I did come across one turn-out where I was able to stop and take a photo of the dam and reservoir, but you have to look really close to see them! They are there, in the center of the picture.

From the same spot, zoomed in a lot. The Tueeulala and Wapama falls (on the left and right, respectively) can now be seen.

The reservoir and the falls.

That "dark spot" on the other side of the dam is a tunnel which takes you to the trail-head for several trails leading to the falls and beyond. I did walk about a mile along the trail but it kept going up and up and my legs kept getting shakier and shakier!

The view of the valley beyond the dam.
All photos taken on April 29, 2013

The drive back up to the main road was far more intimidating than the drive down to the dam. Yes, I tended to creep a little closer to the inside walls and away from the outer edges that seemed imminently closer than they had been!

Published under a Creative Commons License.
Becky Wiseman, "Ketch-in-up at Hetch-Hetchy," Kinexxions, posted May 10, 2013 (http://kinexxions.blogspot.com/2013/05/ketch-in-up-at-hetch-hetchy.html : accessed [access date])

4 comments:

Carol said...

You describe it well! I might steal your descriptions whenever I get that far! LOL

So, are you following us around?? LOL

Be careful, safe rides, glad you took the challenge, it is a special area, Hetch Hetchy! But, I did not go thru the tunnel, sorry now, we did not, reason: Jolly was parked in a non-marked, most likely illegal spot! LOL

Becky Wiseman said...

Thank you, Carol. I understand about not going through the tunnel - parking was at a premium since they were working on the lot down by the dam. It was a mess and I thought I was going to have to leave without stopping but luckily someone pulled out just as I was about to give up! So glad they left!! It was well worth the drive.

I only had six days in California before I had to turn around and head to Missouri. I think I passed near where you were on the 28th just not enough time to connect up. I think it is going to be a very long while before I get back to the West Coast!

Carol said...

Another factor, that tunnel had standing water in it, really did not want to get my feet and shoes/boots wet, as we did not have another pair with us to change into.

28th, we were in Jackson, NW of Yosemite. But we did a day trip to Big Tree State Park to see Sequoias.

Have a good summer. Ya hear?? :-)

Becky Wiseman said...

There was still some water in the tunnel, in several places almost all the way across the width but there was enough dry ground along the edges so that my feet didn't get wet. It was nice and cool in the tunnel, which felt good after the 80 degree temperatures along the trail!