Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Montaña De Oro

Wednesday, May 29th - - I have been back in Indiana for two weeks and am staying with some friends. I've found an apartment but it won't be available until the end of July and I'm still waiting for the final approval.  However, it will be worth waiting for - it has a garage! And I'm looking forward to "settling down" again. Thankfully my friends are very good ones and are willing to put me up and put up with me for a while.

Tuesday, April 30th - - In early afternoon I left Yosemite National Park and continued on to the coast arriving at Montaña De Oro State Park, a few miles southwest of Morro Bay. I fell in love with that area when I was stationed at Point Mugu (near Oxnard) in the mid-1970s.

The website for the park states that Montaña De Oro is one of the largest state parks in California and features over 8,000 acres of rugged cliffs, secluded sandy beaches, coastal plains, streams, canyons, and hills. I've stayed here before and enjoyed it very much. As you can see in the photos, it was rather cloudy and overcast - it was rather chilly too!

One of many flowers in the Ice Plant that was growing alongside the road.

A close-up view of the inside of the flower.

Looking toward the south.

Details that were hidden in the dark original photograph show up a little better after it was converted to a pencil sketch.

Looking toward the north.

Published under a Creative Commons License.
Becky Wiseman, "Montaña De Oro," Kinexxions, posted May 29, 2013 (http://kinexxions.blogspot.com/2013/05/montana-de-oro.html : accessed [access date])

5 comments:

Susan Clark said...

Breathtaking, Becky! I am going to have to get out there - not so easy to do now that our California kids have moved back home.

Carol said...

I am getting ready to post about our short drive through this state park too Becky. (we visited April 6th, so close, eh?? LOL)

It is quite lovely!

Becky Wiseman said...

Yeah, we "crossed paths" several times after I left Utah, just not at the same time.

Becky Wiseman said...

Thank you, Susan. I know what you mean... it's a long ways from Indiana and I wanted to get out to the California Coast one more time before heading back to Indiana. It will likely be a very long time before I get that way again, if ever! It is so beautiful out there, but oh so expensive to live there! Way beyond my means...

Jana Iverson Last said...

I've been to Montana de Oro before. It is just a beautiful area with stunning views. And your photos are awesome!