Tuesday, July 29, 2008

favorite foto - really?

It's impossible. I just can't think about it anymore. I can't take the pressure. The stress of making a decision is overwhelming. Sorry, fM, I can't do it!

No way can I choose just one favorite photograph from my collection for Smile for the Camera. Each one is precious to me. All of them. The "old" family photos as well as current ones. And what of all those non-family pictures, the landscapes, the flowers and the vacation pix. OMG, there are so many pictures that could be called favorites. Really, I can't have just one! (You will find many of my favorites included in family posts, scattered throughout the blog. And some of my favorite "scenic" photos are being included in my "Wordless Wednesday" posts.)

So, what you get for this "favorites" edition of "Smile" is Becky in the Freezer! You will have to take my word for it that it is me in the picture. Notice the eyes? Like those of a deer caught in the headlights of a car - panic stricken. Thanks a lot fM ;-)



It's 1975 and I was stationed at the Photo Lab on the Naval Air Station at Point Mugu, California. I don't recall exactly what it was I was photographing that day but the "freezer" was a large climate-controlled building used for testing "stuff" for cold weather use. The walls behind me were being tested for environmental stability under extreme cold conditions. Cold, as in Antarctica cold. It was a big building. And it was cold inside! Really, really cold.

It wasn't easy to see through the "looking glass" to take the pictures. Not with a mask covering the lower portion of my face. And glasses. Glasses that got steamed up and then frosted over. I remember trying to focus the lens (yes, it was back in the days before auto-focus was even thought of). Couldn't see anything clearly. Taking off the glasses didn't help. I couldn't see more than a few feet without them. Basically, I guessed and hoped for the best.

Copyright: Photograph in the collection of Virginia R. Wiseman. Who owns the copyright to this picture? Not me, I didn't take it. A fellow photographer's mate, whose name I no longer recall, is the one who clicked the shutter. He was in the Navy on an assignment. It's a government photograph. Previously unpublished, and as far as I know, I'm the only one who has a print of it. What say you, Craig? Is it in the Public Domain, no copyright?

6 comments:

Jasia said...

Well now Becky, you gave me the giggle of the day! What high fashion you wore in the Navy ;-) I'm sure it was very fitting for the circumstances but golly, what a picture you made!

Becky Wiseman said...

Well now Jasia, I'm glad I could brighten your day a little! LOL.

Yeah, the Navy leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to fashion. Utility and function were the keys to their style.

Terry Thornton said...

BECKY, Is that really you? What an opportunity to get frostbite. LOL!
Thanks, I needed this cool photo.

TERRY
HILL COUNTRY MONROE COUNTY MISSISSIPPI

Becky Wiseman said...

Terry, yes, that is me in the photo. Really, it is! And it wasn't cool, it was downright cold!!

Anonymous said...

Very chic, Becky. Love it. A great choice for the Carnival.

Anonymous said...

Brrrr!...

It just got really chilly up in here!
LOL.

Peace,
"Guided by the Ancestors"