Thursday, January 22, 2009

Guess what is (nearly) finished!!!

Okay, this is a "brag" post. . .

Four months ago today I embarked upon my second major scanning project for 2008. The first project was to sort and scan my mother's photograph albums which took from April through August. There is still one group of photos left with that project and, in my goals for 2009, I stated that I hope to have those done by the end of March.

The second project, sorting and scanning my genealogy files and documents, was started on September 22nd and I'm *EXTREMELY* happy (relieved, thrilled, pleased as punch, etc.) to report that it is *ALMOST* done! The last group of documents to be sorted and scanned are those that pertain to my ancestors, shown on the table in the photo above. The two tallest piles belong to the Brubaker and Phend families. These will be scanned to both jpg and pdf format. After being scanned, these documents will be put into protective pages and placed in three-ring binders.

Other files that were scanned and kept were put in folders and are being stored in small "bankers" boxes in the garage. Only about a third of the files that I had were kept. Everything else has been recycled, most of it scanned first, but not all. The binders on the shelves and the folders and in the filing cabinets consumed nearly 40 linear feet, while what was kept amounts to about 13 feet (9 bankers boxes 15.5" deep and the papers on the table).

Two empty filing cabinets. Now there is the "problem" of what to do with the 3-ring binders and hanging file folders that are no longer needed. As you can see below, the three tall bookcases have been removed. They were sold, at a very reasonable price ;-) to a friend.

The "before" photo, above, was taken November 13, 2007. And below is what it looks like now (photo taken yesterday).

Another view.

The "before" photo is above (taken November 13, 2007) and what it looks like now is below.

How did I accomplish this feat in four months? It is due to several things actually, among which are:
  • Retirement. No way could I have gotten it done in four months if I was still working, maybe in four years, maybe!
  • Being single with no kids. Though I do have errands to run for my Mother and I have to make sure she gets to the doctor and other appointments.
  • A stubborn streak (perseverance) that was inherited from my Mother. I just made up my mind that it was going to get done, one way or another!
  • And finally, the Fujitsu ScanSnap S300 document scanner, which I heartily recommend. In four months of use and after sending nearly 30,000 pages through it, I had only a couple of paper jams and none of them seriously damaged the paper being scanned. I've definitely gotten my money's worth from this little gem. Thanks, Denise!
Of course, I still have to add file data and captions to all of those image and pdf files, but at least they are scanned and accessible on the computer. I've already had a need to access some of those files and I must say, it is much quicker to click through several pages of a pdf file than it was to find the binder they were in and flip through the pages. And yes, they are all backed up to the laptop and an external drive, though I haven't yet overcome my fear of "losing" all of those electronic files...

8 comments:

Jasia said...

Wow. I continue to be impressed with your dedication and perseverance Becky. The before and after pictures are very telling, in a way that words can't describe. Congratulations on all your progress to date. You inspire us all!

Janet Iles said...

Congratulations on a job well done. Thanks for showing the photos of your space - before and after.

Terri said...

WOW - I'm so impressed! I don't suppose you're available for hire? LOL - I'm wondering if you also put all the data on CD's? Also, what kind of program are you using to organize your data?
Congratulations on your acomplishment!
Terri

Taylorstales-Genealogy said...

I agree with everyone else. Congratulations, having children at home (even adult children!) takes up a bit of my time. I can only wish to be so organized. I feel good because my work is in three ring binders! Thanks for sharing. I am going to to "day dream" about my genealogy work being so organized!

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

Congratulations Becky! I can't have believe you got that much done in that short a time. Even if I retired tomorrow I'm sure I couldn't match your accomplishment.

Diana Ritchie said...

Wow Becky ~ What they all said ;-)

I think it's wonderful that you just dug right in and did all that once you had the time. When I am working I always think that I'll get organized when I have the time - but then when I have some time, I must admit I don't always buckle down and work.

Great job!

Lisa / Smallest Leaf said...

This is absolutely inspiring, Becky. I don't have the courage to take a before picture of the room that I'd like to conquer in this way, but I sure would like to see it transformed.

Great job - your persistence has paid off.

Lisa

TERRY SNYDER said...

I agree with the Wow comments. That is incredible. Congratulations!