Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Blowin' in the Wind

For much of the past week the winds have been blowing in West Texas and Eastern New Mexico. On Sunday (April 10th), after wandering in the dry, arid desert, fighting the 25-35 mph winds (with gusts up to 60mph), seeing nothing but brown earth and beige colored skies, I did an “about face” and headed eastward.

Yes, I know. That's the opposite direction I've been going. But there is another reason for the about face – a doctor's appointment awaits me in Indiana in less than two weeks. It is one that was made in February as a follow-up to the sinus and ear infection I had after Mom's funeral and an appointment which I never canceled. So I knew that if I was going to keep it, I didn't want to get too far west and have a really long drive back. The wind, the brownness, and the wind were just the things that turned me back a little sooner than anticipated.

I had thought about canceling the doctor's appointment, but with the way my leg has been acting up, figured I had better take advantage of it to find out what is going on. I think it is just a pulled muscle, but who knows?

I will admit, I terribly missed the green that I left behind a week ago. I'm not sure why the desert conditions bothered me so easily this time. Last year I spent more than two months in Texas, Arizona and the deserts of California. Perhaps it was a part of my state of mind this time around – thinking a lot (too much) about my Aunt Phyllis, my Mother, and my friend Lorene. Realizing that I will never see them again...

So, I'm going back to Indiana. At least for as long as it takes to find out about what is going on with the leg. And then? Well, I'll let you know when I know! But "The Journey" isn't over yet!


Brantley Lake State Park, New Mexico. April 7th.


Driving conditions east of Amarillo on Sunday, April 10th. The sky was really much more beige colored than gray as this photo shows. This was typical of the drive on Sunday. I was just glad I was going east – the wind was coming from the west. The hundred miles or so that I had to drive north was a real challenge!


Great Plains State Park April 10th. Compliments of Mother Nature throwing a hissy fit – the sand and dust in the air makes for a great sunset filter!


Great Plains State Park April 10th. In southwestern Oklahoma on the shore of Lake Tom Steed, a reservoir that provides water for the area.

5 comments:

Carol said...

Wishing you all the best news from the doctor. Just duck when the tornados blow thru Indiana! Hope to see you SOON back on the road, come to Utah in a month or so, I might be there! Hugs and fairy dust (not that nasty sandy dusty) coming your way.

Barbara Poole said...

Same as what Carol said. Seriously, take care of your health first. I kept kidding Carol abt. all her beige pictures...green is better. You'll be back on the road soon. Relax and enjoy your life at home for a while.

Greta Koehl said...

Ah, yes, it all comes back to me.... Lots of brown, lots of brush and scrub. Now I remember why Virginia was so beautiful when I first came out here to go to college. Hope all comes out well with health issues.

Amy Coffin, MLIS said...

Safe travels back to Indiana.

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

I hope the trip home and the spring green gives you a sense of renewal. May your need for doctor care be done quickly!