Monday, January 16, 2012

Lunch with a Blog Reader

A few days ago, I had the pleasure of having lunch with one of my blog readers! Nancy Hill (aka Nerthus) had left a comment on a post when I passed through the Tucson area in early December, asking if we could meet. Since I was already in Texas when she left the comment, we agreed to get together when I came back in January – and we did!

We met at a little cafe in downtown Tucson that was relatively easy to get to - I only drove around the block three times before I finally saw the cafe! We spent several hours conversing about Indiana – she is from the southwest part of Kosciusko County and I'm from the northeast corner – about blogging, and of course, about genealogy and family history research.

And, guess what? We're cousins! Imagine that! You have to go back to my 5th Great Grandfather, Hans Jacob Brubaker III (about 1760-about 1830), to get to our common ancestor. So yeah, somewhat distant, but still related ;-)


Nancy Hill and Becky Wiseman. January 11, 2012.

This was my first time meeting with a blog reader. It wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be, in fact it wasn't awkward at all. Perhaps the knowledge that she was from Kosciusko County and interested in genealogy helped. Two genealogists can always find “something” to talk about! It was a pleasure meeting Nancy and spending a few hours with her. Thank you, Nancy!

5 comments:

Barbara Poole said...

Sounds like the cousins had a nice time in Tucson. Becky, you are a popular blogger, I believe we'd all like to meet you.

Marian said...

Wonderful! Thanks for sharing!

Charley "Apple" Grabowski said...

I'm glad you were able to meet up. Somehow I'm not surprised you discovered you're cousins!

Carol said...

Now all you have to do is convince her to write a blog! LOL What a fun afternoon!

Dawn said...

I can see the family resemblance :)

I agree that two genealogists can always find something to talk about. Someone mentioned once to me that discussing family history is a great conversation starter with anyone. I never really thought about it that way before, but I realize I have used the topic often in making new acquaintances...