Thursday, December 13, 2007

Fruitcake - Friend or Foe?

The topic for the December 14th installment of the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories hosted by Thomas MacEntee is: "Fruitcake – Friend or Foe? Did you like fruitcake? Did your family receive fruitcakes? Have you ever re-gifted fruitcake? Have you ever devised creative uses for fruitcake?"

As I've often been told, I'm not normal - I must be one of the few people who actually likes fruitcake. That statement should be qualified somewhat, I like "good" fruitcake. Not dry. Not with candied fruit. No frosting. But perhaps with a hot cinnamon sauce drizzled over it. There have been a few times that I've thrown away fruitcake, but only if it was extremely dry or totally inedible.

Until recently, my aunt Phyllis gave her siblings a fruit cake every year, but it isn't your traditional fruitcake. I really do need to get that recipe from her. It's good.

I've never re-gifted a fruitcake. If it wasn't fit to eat I didn't think it fair to thrust it on to someone else. However, if I had known about the Great Fruitcake Toss and lived reasonably close to Manitou Springs, Colorado I might have taken it there to dispose of it.

Some pictures of the 2002 event and highlights of the January 2007 event.

No comments: