Thursday, December 20, 2007

Christmas Music

The topic for the December 21st installment of the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories hosted by Thomas MacEntee is: "Christmas Music. What songs did your family listen to during Christmas? Did you ever go caroling? Did you have a favorite song?"

Back in the 1960's the primary (only?) local radio station we had available for listening to was WOWO in Fort Wayne. At that time it was a "music" station, not a news-talk station as it is now. Of course, at this time of year they played Christmas carols and, even though no one in my immediate family can sing very well, we would sit around the radio and sing along.

When we'd go to grandpa's for the family dinner, there would be a round or two of singing carols. Songs such as Silent Night, Jingle Bells, Away in a Manger, We Three Kings, Do You Hear What I Hear?, Winter Wonderland, Let it Snow, It Came Upon a Midnight Clear, Little Drummer Boy, Deck the Halls, and of course, The Twelve Days of Christmas as well as many others. Someone had a song book that had the lyrics to many of the carols in it. We didn't care much if we were in tune, we just had fun singing the songs as loud as we could, pretty much annoying the adults, I'm sure!

As far as going caroling, we went several times after we moved to the house on the Armstrong Road. We had neighbors nearby then so we inflicted our out-of-tune singing on them.

In my post Blog Caroling... I selected "Do You Hear What I Hear?" as my favorite, but in actuality, I like most of the "traditional" Christmas carols. However, there are some of the more "modern" Christmas songs that I don't care for very much.

No comments: