Monday, December 31, 2007

Amazing HDR Images

From the Travelzine Vagabondish comes a link to a set of wonderful photographs of Iceland. I spent the year 1973 in Iceland and some of these pictures are of the places that I also visited. The detail that Trey achieves in his images is amazing (click on "all sizes" to see the image in a larger size and greater detail). I thought I had some nice shots, but they don't even come close to capturing the scenes like his pictures do!

The photographs, by Trey Ratcliff, are in a technique/style called HDR photography. HDR is short for High Dynamic Range. It is a software technique of taking either one image or a series of images, combining them, and adjusting the contrast ratios to do things that are virtually impossible with a single aperture and shutter speed. The detail that is made available in this type of imagery is absolutely incredible. Trey has posted a tutorial of the method he uses to create his images.

I first became aware of HDR photography when Jasia posted a picture of a house she found on Flikr back in October. It is a fascinating technique, at least it is to me, but I'm not sure it's something I want to get into right now… too many other things that really should be done first!

3 comments:

Miriam Robbins said...

These are stunning! Thanks for the link!

Terry Thornton said...

Becky, Thanks for the link to the wonderful pictures of Iceland. I enjoyed looking at Ratcliff's work very much.
HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Terry

Lee said...

Oh that is an interesting technique, and with such beautiful results.