Thursday, January 01, 2009

Looking Back :: kinexxions in 2008

Well, it's here! 2009. Another New Year. What happened to 2008? It went by so fast! As I did at the end of 2007, I have selected some of the posts that I like and some that have received the most attention (hits and comments). I want to thank everyone who has provided me with some encouragement or feedback through comments or private emails as well as everyone who reads kinexxions (whether through a reader or a visit to the blog). I hope I don't disappoint you too often.

A highlight for me came in April, when I was honored by footnoteMaven to be the first Guest Blogger on "Shades of the Departed". I wrote about the impact photography has had on me as well as discussing some of my old family photographs in A Moment in Time.

Randy Seaver at Genea-Musings has boosted my ego several times this year by selecting some of my posts for his weekly Best of the Genea-Blogs. As did Terry Thornton with his Harvest from the Blog Garden series. Thanks, Randy and Terry! 'Tis much appreciated.

Also in October I hosted the 6th Edition of Smile For The Camera with Peruse our Virtual Album and Tickle Your Funny Bone!

The post that has garnered the most comments and the most hits this year, despite the fact that it wasn't written until October, is A Salute to the Old Timers! honoring the genea-bloggers who have been blogging for two years or more.

Following close behind in number of page views are Got slides you wanta digitize?, Foiling 'Round in the Cemetery, What is Blogging? Why would I want to do it? and Photo Studio - Light Tent.

What this tells me is that my "family" posts probably aren't really of much interest to others, which is something that I already knew! I guess, if I was concerned with increasing readership, fewer "family" posts should be published and more posts of the tips and resources genre should be published! I'm not sure I'm prepared to do that yet, there's a lot more family stories to be written, and whether anyone else wants to read them, or not, is another matter! After all, the "purpose" of this blog is to publish the stories of my ancestors and other relatives in the hopes of making connections with other family members and I'm quite happy with the successes I've had in that respect. So, for now, I'll continue to do what I have been doing. . . below are my picks for the "best of" kinexxions in 2008.

Some Fun Stuff
A Series of Posts
Family Research
Family Stories/Biographies
Family Photographs
Personal Photography And Some Older Posts. According to GoogleAnalytics, these posts from 2007 continue to bring in a considerable number of visitors. They are in the "top 25" pages viewed so they get more hits than the vast majority of all other posts!
Do you have a favorite post here at kinexxions? Was it included in my list? Let me know in the comments or drop me an email at kinexxions "at" gmail.com

No comments: