Monday, May 09, 2011

The Center of US


Saturday, May 7th - - The above sign is located on U.S. Highway 36 in north-central Kansas. Several miles northwest is the small, rather desolate and forlorn looking town of Lebanon and a little further to the northwest of Lebanon is the Geographic Center of the Contiguous United States.


Going up... on Kansas 191


And over. At the end of the road is “The Center” of the U.S.


This new little chapel seats four. The original was destroyed in 2008 by a speeding car.


The official marker denotes the spot.


The flag really needs to be replaced. A strong wind was blowing as I'm guessing it does much of the time.


Lebanon has souvenirs?

3 comments:

Carol said...

OK, FUN FACTOR ALERT! love this!

Debbie Blanton McCoy said...

That is fun! I've never known about that marker before. Now I have another place to add to my list of places I want to see.

Barbara Poole said...

Neat. Are you anywhere near Hutchinson? Got a good friend who lives there, and I've been there. Have fun.