Thursday, May 12, 2011

Mushroom Rock State Park

Sunday, May 8th - - I passed Mushroom Rock State Park on my way to Kanopolis yesterday and decided to stop on my way out to the main highway.


The park is small, only about five acres, and contains some unusual rock formations, accessed by short trails. This brochure, published by Kansas State Parks describes the formations in detail.


The main attractions of the park.




Erosion will one day weaken the base and the upper rock will come tumbling down.


Graffiti engraved on the lower, softer portion covers the entire base of the rock.


This formation is on the other side of the gravel road that runs through the park.

3 comments:

Carol said...

This has been on my bucket list for years. Great photos!

Unknown said...

Great slice of life travel posts like this one are why I read your blog even though I don't live in Whitley County any longer, nor even in Indiana, and your Brubakers don't seem to be connected to mine and I've only been to Hill Lake that is a named after my pioneer ancestors on one occasion but I do love driving through the county when I return to Indiana... :-)

Michelle Goodrum said...

These are some incredibly fun pictures. I am glad you stopped!