Wednesday, May 06, 2009

I Doubt that they were Family Pets...

"All Creatures Great And Small" is the topic for the 13th Edition of Smile For The Camera. When I was growing up, the only pets we had were dogs, with creative names such as Buster, Rover, and Bootsie (my post written for the 50th Carnival of Genealogy). I went through nearly every image folder on my hard drive trying to find some other "animal" pictures and re-discovered those below, which were loaned to me for scanning by Aunt Phyllis about four years ago.

Given the size of this horse, I'd have to guess that it was one of the working farm horses. Of course, it may not be as big as it appears - Aunt H. was only about five feet tall.

Bill was my grandmother's brother, William Hale Brubaker (1905-1979). Thag was my grandmother's first cousin, Thagrus Asher Burns (1917-2008). Aunt H. was my grandmother's aunt Hazlett (Wise) Burns (1885-1977). Date of photo unknown but Thag looks to be maybe 3-4 years old so it was probably taken about 1920-21.

Uncle Harl was Harlo Asher Burns (1880-1952). He was the husband of Hazlette Wise. I didn't know or remember him since I was only 4 years old when he passed away but according to my mother and her sisters, Uncle Harl was a rather large "somewhat uncouth" man but he loved his family - and his horses! Date of photo unknown.

Uncle Harl in the field with his horses. Date of photo unknown.

4 comments:

Harriet said...

Becky,
I have chosen you to receive the "One Lovely Blog" award. You can pick it up at Genealogy Fun.

Greta Koehl said...

Great minds think alike! I also nominated you for this award (http://gretabog.blogspot.com/2009/05/cool-x-2.html).

Brett Payne said...

Thanks for an interesting series of photographs, Becky. I wonder if you know what the dangly things are hanging from the horse's harness in the third photo? Regards, Brett

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

thanks for sharing farm animals, Becky. Most of us only see animal pets in our daily lives and it's important to remember what a crucial role animals have played as they work side-by-side with us.