Sunday, September 18, 2011

Of Rabbits and Hares


This was among the first photos taken with the new Nikon P500 camera, which arrived on the 8th. I stepped out the back door on my way to take pictures and this little fellow was sitting across the alley. I got two shots off before he darted away. This is not a cropped image...


This jackrabbit, also known as a hare, was seen in Mountview Cemetery in Billings on the 13th. At first I thought it was a grave decoration, albeit not near a grave, but then I noticed its eyes were moving.


A close-up shot, at the full 36x magnification of the zoom lens.


It was a little wobbly in the hind legs when it stood up – a lot like my legs after I've been sitting for too long!


It looked back at me, then jumped off – literally – covering a distance of five feet or more with each hop as well as a foot or more in height. And it was fast! Sure was fun to watch too. (In a search for info on jackrabbits I found out that they can leap up to 10 feet and reach speeds up to 40 mph. Their young are born furred and with their eyes open.)

3 comments:

Jasia said...

OH yes, lovely pics. I can see this camera has opened up a whole new perspective of photography for you. That's terrific!

GeneaDiva said...

Awesome photos!

Barbara Poole said...

I can see where you are going to have fun with the new camera. Already, fabulous photos.