Friday, September 26, 2008

Getting to know me, getting to know kinexxions...

To state the obvious ;-) there has been quite an increase in the number of genealogy and family history blogs this summer! With that in mind Terry Thornton issued a challenge to all genea-bloggers a few weeks ago to write a post about ourselves and our blog so that we, and our readers, might get to know each other a little bit better.

Our multi-part task is to write a short paragraph "describing you, your work, and your goals for writing" and then select three posts that represent "the bright and breezy and beautiful" according to Terry's criteria.

Seems like I just did this not too long ago. Anyway, I've been involved with genealogy and family history research off and on for more than 25 years. I've spent countless hours in libraries. I've cranked through many rolls of microfilm. I've gotten my hands (and clothes) dirty doing courthouse research. I've visited some of the areas where my ancestors lived, and the places they are buried. And it's been fun. It has also been a rewarding and interesting journey. I've still got a "few" brick walls to break through, but for the most part I've been quite fortunate.

When I started this blog in January of 2007, my intent was to present the genealogy and history of the families that I am researching, and, hopefully, to reach out to others who are interested in the same families. My goals haven't changed though I throw in a few posts about interesting websites I've found, and a few tips now and then, but the majority of posts are still about my families and my research. I've also posted a little bit of personal history and recently started to post some of my photographs. Of the 9 ½ years I spent in the U. S. Navy, nearly 8 were as a photographer. So if you really want to get to know me, poke around in some of those posts or click on some of the other posts in the archives (in the right sidebar at the bottom of the blog).

This next part is tough. We have to select only 3 posts that are the "best of the best" of all the articles we've written. . .

the brightest, the article you should read first to understand me and my blog:
Two roads diverged... A rather philosophical musing, it simply tells of a turning point in my life. If that one decision had been different, how would things have changed?

the breeziest, funny or sassy or provocative or sprightly:
A Million Dollars? Just for genealogy research? We can all dream, can't we?

the most beautiful: Grandma's Story and Grandpa Vic. Okay, that's two posts, but my grandparents share equally in their importance to me and both were the inspiration for my research.

No comments: