Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Greetings from Texas :: Albeit Somewhat Belatedly

On December 7th I left Arizona, drove through the southwest corner of New Mexico and entered the great state of Texas! Yes, I've been here a week already... I stopped off for a few days at one of my favorite spots in Texas – Davis Mountains State Park – way down in the southwest corner of the state a few miles from Fort Davis.

Mother Nature was still throwing a hissy fit as far as the weather was concerned with colder than normal temperatures. However, there was one very nice day while I was at Davis Mountains – the thermometer actually reached 62 degrees! And there was sunshine and blue skies. It was quite nice, to say the least. Then the clouds and cold temps rolled back in that night... I left Davis Mountains on the morning of December 10th with the area enshrouded in fog and temperatures in the low 30s. The fog and low temps followed me eastward all day long...


Photos taken on December 8, 2011 from the top of Skyline Drive, Davis Mountains State Park. Overlooking the valley below. The campground is nestled between the hills on the left side of the photo.


This past spring and into early summer, parts of western Texas were ablaze with wildfires. Davis Mountains suffered some damage - most of the shrub trees in the upper areas of the park were blackened by fire and there was more extensive damage in the isolated areas.


The sunset wasn't the prettiest I've seen. But it wasn't bad either ;-)

2 comments:

Barbara Poole said...

I can't believe how quickly the days pass, when you blog. Never know where you will show up, and it's always far from where you were before. (It doesn't sound right, hopefully you'll get my train of thought.) Since I never see sunsets, I'm enjoying yours.

Carol said...

Not a bad sunset at all! That is the great thing about sunsets, you just never know what you might see in the way of color and design.