Wednesday, December 07, 2011

You Don't have to Break the Bank to Stay in Salt Lake City

Several people have asked about where I stayed and the cost of my 7 ½ week stay in Salt Lake City. I responded directly to them but thought others might be interested also. If you've ever dreamed of spending more than a few days there, I can tell you that it doesn't have to break the bank!

I stayed at the Extended Stay America in West Valley City near the Maverick Center. It's about a 15 minute drive to the Library (on I-215 and I-80 then a few city blocks north) so if you have a car it is great. There is a Trax station a couple of blocks away, near the Maverick Center. If I didn't have the van I probably would have used Trax - except that the sidewalk isn't very well lit and it was usually after dark when I returned from the library. Trax is the public transportation system in Salt Lake City (both train and bus). There are other Extended Stay Motels in the Salt Lake City area.

I would recommend this place, especially if you have a car. It wasn't fancy but it was comfortable. It was clean, except the carpeting had some dark greasy looking areas. The room had a four-burner stove-top, microwave, refrigerator, table service for two, a skillet and a saucepan, television, great wifi (there was a one time charge of $5 for the wifi) and housekeeping once a week - all at a very reasonable price, especially if you stay for a month or more. You can check the rates on their website but it was about $40 per day for the first month then $35 per day after the first month (taxes are refunded after 30 days!). I asked for and got a “senior” discount of 5%. I do not know if the cost is higher for more than one person – check their website (search for Extended Stay America).

The weekly rate is somewhat higher but still very reasonable. There are several Extended Stay type of Motels in the Salt Lake City area. I chose this one because of the easy access to the Interstates and it was simple enough to remember the route to the Library! Even though it was (quite literally) right beside I-215 noise was not a factor, however, I did have a room that faced away from the highway. Very seldom did I hear anyone else in the rooms above or beside me. I was surprised at how quiet it was.

Of course, if you drive a vehicle to the Library, you have to pay for parking. The most convenient parking lot was just to the north of the library. It was $5 per day (winter rate – it is $6 per day from May-October, or thereabouts). There was another lot that I sometimes parked in – the rates varied depending upon whether there were “events” going on. Much of the time it was $3 per day - other days it was $5 or $6. It was free on Saturdays if there were no events happening. That lot is one block west of the Library. I didn't use it if I knew I'd be at the library after dark – the sidewalks in that area were not well lit as some of the street lights were out.

Yes, it would have been really convenient to have stayed at the Plaza (right next to the Library) or one of the many other areas within a few blocks. But I really could not justify the cost for those places for the length of time that I was planning to stay. Overall, my stay at Extended Stay America was pleasant and quiet. The staff was courteous, friendly and helpful at all times – this is my experience, it may be different for other people.

Disclaimer: I am not being compensated in any way by Extended Stay America. They do not know that I'm writing this post. In fact they don't even know who I am.

No comments: